Kale is not a topping I would have normally chosen for pizza, but somehow it works here. But the real star here is the cheese sauce. It’s to die for. And there is ricotta. Which makes it 10x better according to me, or inedible according to Chris. At least with pizza you can easily go halfsies.
Recipe adapted from Plated
1 ball pizza dough, softened at room temperature
3-4 leaves curly kale
1 yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
1/3 cup heavy cream
~3 oz mozzarella/provolone, shredded (We like a combination of the two.)
a couple sprigs of thyme (do not remove leaves from stem)
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 450. Rinse kale & pat dry. Remove stems, then tear into bite-size pieces. Thinly slice onion.
- Peel garlic cloves. Place whole cloves onto a small piece of aluminum foil. drizzle with olive oil. Fold foil into a pouch. Place in oven, leaving room for kale pan.
- Toss kale with olive oil & spread on baking sheet. Roast until crisp & lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside. Remove garlic pouch from oven and let cool.
- While kale & garlic cook, heat ~1 tbsp oil in medium pan over medium heat. Add onion & thyme (whole sprigs). Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add cream, increase heat to medium high, and simmer until reduced slightly, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Remove thyme from pot & discard. Stir in cheese blend. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While sauce cooks, use hands (or a rolling pin) to stretch & roll dough into a circular shape, about the size of your cast iron skillet. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan over medium heat. Add dough circle & increase heat to medium high. Cook, without flipping, until bubbles form on top and bottom is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Brush 1 tsp olive oil over dough, coating entire surface & edges. Season with salt & pepper. Spread cheese sauce over dough. Dollop ricotta on as desired.
- Place pizza in oven and bake until crust browns and cheese is melted, 15-18 minutes.
- While pizza cools, chop roasted garlic. Remove pizza from oven & top with roasted garlic, kale, and pepper. Cut into slices.