My standard Chinese takeout order is (meat) + broccoli. Sometimes shrimp, sometimes beef. Chicken if I have no other choice. This is steak and broccoli, with a sauce way better than the usual brown stuff. You need it.
Recipe adapted from Plated
2 top blade or flank steaks
3/4 cup jasmine rice
2 cups broccoli florets (or 8 oz Chinese broccoli, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces)
2 green onions
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1-2 tbsp honey
crushed red pepper
cilantro leaves, chopped
salt & pepper
- In small pot, combine rice with 1 1/4 cups water and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to boil over high heat. Stir, reduce heat to medium low,, cover, and simmer until water is evaporated, 10-12 minutes. Remove pot from heat & let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- While rice cooks, mince garlic and thinly slice green onion, keeping whites and greens separate. Steam broccoli until just crisp-tender. (Skip if using Chinese broccoli.)
- Place pine nuts in a pan over medium heat. Toast, stirring, until golden, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. (Do not wipe out pan.)
- Add soy sauce, red wine vinegar, honey, crushed red pepper, onion greens, garlic, & 1/4 cup olive oil to pine nuts bowl. Whisk until fully incorporated. Taste and add salt, pepper, and additional honey and/or red pepper as desired.
- Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper. Return pan to medium heat with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. When oil is hot, add steaks and sear until browned & medium rare, 5-7 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate to rest. Leave behind any juices in pan.
- Place pan back over medium high heat. When juices sizzle, add broccoli, onion whites, and 1/4 tsp salt. Saute, stirring, until broccoli is tender and begins to brown, 2-3 minutes. Transfer broccoli to bowl with vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
- Cut rested steaks against the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Add to bowl with broccoli & toss everything to coat. Divide rice onto serving plates & top with beef & broccoli. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over the top. Top with cilantro.