A one pan meal that’s perfect for cold days or days when you need that gooey, warm, luscious carb hit. Add ricotta and bacon or sausage for extra points.
Original Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in half
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 16oz marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4oz fresh mozzarella slices
- 8oz ziti
- Brush chicken breasts with oil then season on both sides with salt & pepper. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, then spray with nonstick spray. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes a side, or until golden brown (do not cook all the way through) Remove to a plate.
- Turn heat down to medium, then remove skillet from burner and let cool for 1 minute. Add marinara sauce (use caution, as sauce may splatter a bit,) parmesan cheese, and dried basil to skillet then stir to combine. Nestle chicken halves into sauce mixture then return skillet to heat, place a lid on top, and cook for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Heat a large pot of water then season with salt and add pasta. Cook until al dente then drain and set aside.
- Remove skillet from heat then top chicken with sliced mozzarella and broil until golden brown and bubbly.