This is a bit of an unusual dish, but is excellent on a cold day. Give the beans plenty of time to cook, and be careful with the salt. Pancetta is quite salty to start with, so it’s easy to go overboard. You can also add more shrimp if you like.
For the Shrimp:
1 dozen large shrimp, shelled and deveined
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary – finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Cannellini Beans:
4 oz pancetta, diced
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium shallot, chopped
4-6 cloves roasted garlic
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup white wine
2 – 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
¼ teaspoon salt
5 oz. arugula, roughly chopped
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for serving
1. Combine all shrimp ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
2. In large nonstick skillet, cook pancetta in olive oil until crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Remove pancetta with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
3. Reduce heat to medium low. Add butter to pan and saute shallot until tender, about 1-2 minutes.
4. Add garlic to pan & cook 1 minute, stirring & mashing garlic.
5. Stir in chicken broth & white wine & reduce slightly, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Add beans and parsley to pan. Season with salt and simmer until beans are heated through.
7. Add arugula, parmesan, & 2/3 of the pancetta to the pan. Stir & cover until arugula is wilted. Keep warm on very low heat.
8. Heat grill/grill pan to medium-high heat. Skewer shrimp & grill until opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
9. Divide bean mixture into serving bowls. Top with remaining parmesan and pancetta. Top with 3 shrimp per bowl & garnish with remaining parsley.